Thursday, February 10, 2011

BOC Week 4: Wedding Photography


Wedding photography is a huge market for photography, Millions of dollars each year is spent on photography for engagements, weddings and receptions. There are many different types and styles of wedding, yet all have one thing in common and that it a bride and groom. The key to photographing a wedding is to be in the right place at the right time to capture the couples special moments as they happen. 
In the picture above I was able to capture the moment of the first bite of cake which with some couples is cute and sweet and others it can be a bit messy. (The messy ones can be a ton of fun to capture.) As with most of these type of events things can happen in the blink of an eye and if you’re not already anticipating the action you miss the moment and the shot. Many of these shots cannot be recreated after the fact either. Capturing candid moments during a wedding or reception can enhance the overall photographic experience of the couple’s happy day. I was able to capture this moment as many others like this one while shooting this reception for my wife cousin. I basically just spent the entire time behind the lens of my camera looking for situation that could result in some candid moments, as well as being ready and in a good position for the more formal moments. Every time I shoot a wedding, reception, or event I learn new ways to be a little better than the time before so that I am able to capture those so call great money shots that everyone wants to buy.


Sometimes Wedding photography is about more than just the bride to be or like in the case of my sister sometimes you hire a photographer that doesn't deliver. When I said I needed to take some wedding picture for a class assignment my sister volunteered to be my model. So I took her and her family up to the Las Vegas Temple to take some photographs so that she and her husband could have some pictures that they would be happy with. This is one of my favorites from our shoot, my sister and her daughter look so happy and to me that is what a wedding and marriage is all about happiness. There are many different styles of wedding photography. Some wedding photographers prefer to shoot in a more traditional style shooting formal shots and varying little outside that realm. Other photographer's like myself shoot both formal and candid photography. I tend to lean more towards the candid shots trying to capture the real moments as they happen. I like to shoot with natural light when available, the outdoors allow me to do this most of the time. The time of day can play a huge part in how well the photographs will turn out in the end. sometimes it is the luck of the draw as well when you get beautiful clouds to add and enhance the photo's in which the photographer is shooting. In the above photograph you can only see some of the clouds and sky, but in many of the other photographs you can see the impact beautiful clouds and a deep blue sky can have on a wedding portrait. Each photographer looks at the light in different ways and sometimes the photographer looks at light differently from shoot to shoot. In this shoot I wanted to shoot in a some what high key fashion to give the photograph a distinct look when edited a certain way.

No comments:

Post a Comment