Friday, February 18, 2011

BOC Week 5: Painting With Light


What is painting with light, painting with light is just as it sounds using a light source to create an image. This is done in many different ways, with a variety of different techniques. The light sources can vary as differently as the techniques. After shooting a few different ways, using things like flashlights, small toys that light up and glow sticks I found that these little toy swords that my kids had were the perfect tools for me to use on this assignment. I shot a few different things like having the kids run around the yard, using the lights to paint different object and stuff like that before I thought of the idea of creating a silhouetted subject standing in front of a painted light backdrop. In the image above I was able to capture a woman standing with her hands on her hips. Sometimes when I look at a photograph something in that photograph jumps out at me. In this case the woman in the photograph is what speaks to me. The colors of the lights in the background make me think that the woman may have two different sides to her, yet her stance looks poised and controlled. I see empowerment in her stance even though her face is hidden in the shadows of her silhouette. The touch of color along the back edge of the subjects body help to separate her from the background and add an extra sense of intrigue into the picture. The hint of color makes you want to find out more about the subject, who is she, what is her expression, things of that nature. I really like the way this image came out and am planning on turning this into a series of photographs. The great thing about photography and it's many forms is that you can always learn new things or new ways to do old things, the sky is the limit when you put some creativity into your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment