Saturday, March 19, 2011

Week 7 BOC: Self Porttrait Eye

Here is an example of a self portrait done by capturing my own reflection in my models eye. I have seen many of these taken over the years; many starting photographers take these types of photographs. I do not particularly like these photos yet I can understand the appeal, After all the eyes are said to be the windows to the soul. It is always fun to take a self portrait in a reflection and the eye can give you a unique look for that photo opportunity. These photographs are best taken outdoors in bright sunlight so that you can use a larger aperture allowing for a large depth of field. For my shot however I shot it indoors with a macro and a shallow depth of field. I also used a higher ISO do to the lower lighting situation. I think I got a good reflection using a flash and a reflector. In most cases I would probably Photoshop the eye so it was not blood shot, yet I like the effect of the blood shot eye making this a more unique photograph. I did not do a whole lot of post work to my image I try and capture the correct exposure in the camera rather than just take a shot and then try and fix it in post. I believe you have to do it right in the camera first then if you want to enhance the image in post you have a rock solid foundation to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment